A missionary experience in Spain
"God has also taught me that even when it seems like progress is slow and time sometimes feels “wasted,” He is always working, in ways that we don’t often see. He is, undoubtedly, working out His purposes and doing a work much greater than we can ever imagine."
I study French and Spanish at the University of Glasgow and for part of my course, I was able to spend 9 months serving with ECM in Roquetas de Mar on the south coast of Spain, just outside the city of Almería. Its port is often used as a way into Europe for people coming from North and West Africa, which means about a third of Roquetas’ population is made up of immigrants.
I worked with a small church, Iglesia Evangélica de Vícar, where I was involved in various ministries that seek to share the gospel with people from a variety of different communities, many of whom come from a Muslim background. A typical week saw me helping at a drop-in centre which provides second-hand clothing, free coffee, and pastoral support for local Moroccan women. I taught English to different age groups of Moroccan children and basic Spanish classes to both Moroccan and Nigerian women. I also had Darija (Moroccan Arabic) classes to help me as I sought to build relationships. At the weekend, I helped at a Christian kid’s club, with a surprising majority of children attending from Muslim homes. I also helped with my church’s youth fellowship and played the piano for the worship band.
This past year I have learnt a great deal about building relationships with people from all nations, especially Muslims, which has been new for me. God has also been teaching me that even when it seems like progress is slow and time sometimes feels “wasted,” He is always working, in ways that we don’t often see. He is, undoubtedly, working out His purposes and doing a work much greater than we can ever imagine.
Kate Campbell, a Northern Irish Short-Termer in Spain
- 07/26/2022 11:56 - News from Ukraine
- 07/22/2022 09:10 - A missionary experience in Spain
- 07/21/2022 11:53 - The story of Evgen & Diana
- 07/14/2022 11:44 - The ministry of ECMers in Lviv, Ukraine
- 07/07/2022 11:33 - "Our children and teenagers haven’t had so much laughter and fun since we left our homes in Ukraine"
- 07/01/2022 11:28 - Bringing hope to where it's needed the most
- 06/23/2022 10:07 - Trusting God at all times
- 06/14/2022 09:25 - Christian leaders come together to help Ukrainian refugees
- 06/11/2022 11:09 - Life in Ukraine
- 05/31/2022 17:35 - With small acts of love
- 05/27/2022 13:35 - "The worst and the best of humanity"
- 05/24/2022 14:22 - Tanya's Story
- 05/18/2022 15:23 - From Kiev to Zagrev
- 05/01/2022 15:42 - A minibus for Lviv
- 04/26/2022 11:46 - "There is no way we can get used to the War..."
- 04/22/2022 11:31 - A return to Irpin
- 04/12/2022 10:00 - The job is too big for one alone...
- 04/06/2022 09:47 - Hosting Ukrainian refugees
- 04/02/2022 10:13 - A journey into Ukraine: what does it look like?
- 03/28/2022 14:27 - Shining light into the darkness
- 03/26/2022 09:21 - "The aid was a significant relief for our teams..."
- 03/23/2022 12:51 - Serving the children in the war
- 03/22/2022 12:55 - Through your prayers...
- 03/21/2022 12:11 - Praise God for his provision!
- 03/08/2022 08:42 - On the ground in Ukraine
- 02/24/2022 19:25 - ECM Update on the Ukraine Crisis
- 02/15/2022 12:55 - Who are we and what we do as a mission?
- 02/08/2022 10:27 - Come and help us!