A missionary experience in Spain
"God has also taught me that even when it seems like progress is slow and time sometimes feels “wasted,” He is always working, in ways that we don’t often see. He is, undoubtedly, working out His purposes and doing a work much greater than we can ever imagine."
I study French and Spanish at the University of Glasgow and for part of my course, I was able to spend 9 months serving with ECM in Roquetas de Mar on the south coast of Spain, just outside the city of Almería. Its port is often used as a way into Europe for people coming from North and West Africa, which means about a third of Roquetas’ population is made up of immigrants.
I worked with a small church, Iglesia Evangélica de Vícar, where I was involved in various ministries that seek to share the gospel with people from a variety of different communities, many of whom come from a Muslim background. A typical week saw me helping at a drop-in centre which provides second-hand clothing, free coffee, and pastoral support for local Moroccan women. I taught English to different age groups of Moroccan children and basic Spanish classes to both Moroccan and Nigerian women. I also had Darija (Moroccan Arabic) classes to help me as I sought to build relationships. At the weekend, I helped at a Christian kid’s club, with a surprising majority of children attending from Muslim homes. I also helped with my church’s youth fellowship and played the piano for the worship band.
This past year I have learnt a great deal about building relationships with people from all nations, especially Muslims, which has been new for me. God has also been teaching me that even when it seems like progress is slow and time sometimes feels “wasted,” He is always working, in ways that we don’t often see. He is, undoubtedly, working out His purposes and doing a work much greater than we can ever imagine.
Kate Campbell, a Northern Irish Short-Termer in Spain
The Nigerian Church
The Kids Club
The Vícar Church
- 23/11/22 15:16 - From football... to Christ
- 15/11/22 13:20 - Short Term Gain
- 11/11/22 12:53 - Caring for Ukrainians in Croatia
- 25/10/22 14:03 - ECM Prayer Days in Spain
- 18/10/22 12:04 - 14 days of helping refugees
- 11/10/22 12:02 - God is good at all times
- 22/09/22 12:18 - Standing Together with Ukraine
- 15/09/22 13:47 - A true life changing experience
- 08/09/22 11:26 - Equipping the next generation
- 26/07/22 11:56 - News from Ukraine
- 22/07/22 09:10 - A missionary experience in Spain
- 21/07/22 11:53 - The story of Evgen & Diana
- 14/07/22 11:44 - The ministry of ECMers in Lviv, Ukraine
- 07/07/22 11:33 - "Our children and teenagers haven’t had so much laughter and fun since we left our homes in Ukraine"
- 01/07/22 11:28 - Bringing hope to where it's needed the most
- 23/06/22 10:07 - Trusting God at all times
- 14/06/22 09:25 - Christian leaders come together to help Ukrainian refugees
- 11/06/22 11:09 - Life in Ukraine
- 31/05/22 17:35 - With small acts of love
- 27/05/22 13:35 - "The worst and the best of humanity"
- 24/05/22 14:22 - Tanya's Story
- 18/05/22 15:23 - From Kiev to Zagrev
- 01/05/22 15:42 - A minibus for Lviv
- 26/04/22 11:46 - "There is no way we can get used to the War..."
- 22/04/22 11:31 - A return to Irpin
- 12/04/22 10:00 - The job is too big for one alone...
- 06/04/22 09:47 - Hosting Ukrainian refugees
- 02/04/22 10:13 - A journey into Ukraine: what does it look like?
- 28/03/22 14:27 - Shining light into the darkness
- 26/03/22 09:21 - "The aid was a significant relief for our teams..."
- 23/03/22 12:51 - Serving the children in the war
- 22/03/22 12:55 - Through your prayers...
- 21/03/22 12:11 - Praise God for his provision!
- 08/03/22 08:42 - On the ground in Ukraine
- 24/02/22 19:25 - ECM Update on the Ukraine Crisis
- 15/02/22 12:55 - Who are we and what we do as a mission?
- 08/02/22 10:27 - Come and help us!