How to reach your neighbour
Krista and Jesse are ECM workers on Gotland, Sweden, and describe how God used the Alpha course in a couple's life.
“We had the honour of welcoming one of our neighbours into Christ’s family. Goran and his wife Annika (names changed) attended the Alpha Course a while back. They kept their questions and comments entirely to themselves whenever we met. I don’t think Annika ever uttered a word in any of the meetings. Even during the much-prayed-for weekend retreat they were seemingly unresponsive.
“Recording one of Jesus’ parables, Mark wrote that God’s kingdom is like seed thrown on a field by a man who then goes to bed and forgets about it. That’s kind of what happened to Goran and Annika. They attended the course and then went their own way, somewhat forgotten.
“But the parable continues: The seed sprouts and grows, and he (the farmer) has no idea how it happens. The earth does it all without his help.
“And that’s kind of what happened here, too. Over the subsequent months, Goran began to feel the nearness, conviction, and friendship of God in his life. So, in response, with sweaty hands and a racing pulse, he logged into his Facebook account, navigated to the info tab, and indicated that he was indeed “Christian”. Then he sat back in his chair and waited for the proverbial fireworks. But, “All men shall know thou art mine disciple by thine Facebook status” is not exactly what Jesus said. So, months later, Goran realised his newfound love needed a proper context. That’s when Goran called me out-of-the blue and asked if I would be willing to baptise him and welcome him into the church as a new member!
“Praise God that he is always working, even if we have forgotten the seed.”
More similar stories can be found in our ECM Spring Magazine. Follow this link.
Read more about ECM's work in Sweden here.
- November - 30 - 2021 16:00 - When did God do something special in your life?
- November - 23 - 2021 12:00 - Helping others to love Muslims
- November - 16 - 2021 09:43 - The call to missions
- November - 09 - 2021 10:00 - The Extraordinary Re-Evangelization of Europe
- November - 02 - 2021 16:00 - Equipped and connected for a move to multiply during COVID-19
- October - 30 - 2021 10:14 - Helping others to love Muslims
- October - 26 - 2021 14:00 - The gospel into people's homes
- October - 19 - 2021 13:11 - How long, oh Lord?
- October - 12 - 2021 11:00 - How will they hear - prayer campaign
- August - 24 - 2021 13:56 - "That's the tremendous thing that God is doing..."
- August - 17 - 2021 11:00 - Europe 2021: A Missiological Report
- August - 17 - 2021 10:30 - The House that love built
- July - 28 - 2021 15:41 - Launching NZ Mission Internship
- July - 27 - 2021 00:09 - Where will your journey of faith take you?
- July - 26 - 2021 00:00 - Where will your journey of faith take you?
- July - 06 - 2021 11:48 - It all starts in the heart
- April - 27 - 2021 12:00 - Confined but connecting
- April - 20 - 2021 17:30 - A life transformed...
- April - 06 - 2021 11:30 - A light in the community
- March - 16 - 2021 13:23 - Understanding Catholic Cultures
- March - 09 - 2021 11:29 - God is never taken by surprise
- February - 23 - 2021 12:15 - Our best laid plans... How God aligns them with His
- February - 16 - 2021 12:30 - From depression to ministry
- February - 09 - 2021 12:14 - Not stopped by COVID-19
- February - 02 - 2021 16:17 - Once forbidden...